Wednesday, 13 September 2017

Weightloss Wednesday || The Benefits Of A Solid Breakfast

Weightloss Wednesday Banner

Breakfast is the only meal that I regularly skip, by that I mean it’s about 5 out of 7 days that I don’t eat it. There are multiple reasons, I might be going out and I’ve woken up late, I don’t like my breakfast etc but more than likely it’s because I sleep through it.

With my Fibromyalgia, I have a very unnatural, messed up sleep schedule. I struggle to go to sleep and then wake up very late. My average time to wake up (unless I set myself 3 alarms) is between 10-12. It ranges every day but it also takes me an hour to get out of bed because of pain and I can’t eat straight after waking up. So, the likelihood of eating breakfast is very slim. I have, however, been doing my research on weight loss and apparently breakfast is important for the day ahead! So, I thought, how about I do a post all about breakfast for others too. I had to search several places for information and ideas so instead, I’ve put it all together.


The first thing is the benefits of eating a healthy breakfast!
  • Creates a more nutritionally complete diet, higher in nutrients, vitamins and minerals
  • Improves concentration and performance particularly good for children in school and adults at work.
  • More strength and endurance to engage in physical activity. This then has the knock-off effect of increasing obesity because of the added energy for exercise.
  • Lowers your cholesterol levels which lower the risk of heart-related illnesses.
  • It can boost your metabolism and keep your blood sugar levels stable during the day
  • Having breakfast means you do not need to wait until lunch to eat. Doing this can lower your mood and make you feel sluggish. Everyone gets hangry (hungry and angry, or in my case angry from hunger)
  • You’ve slept for 7 or 8 hours (some of us do anyway) and your body needs to be refuelled for the day.
  • Let’s be honest, it’s just a good way to start the day. Eating something yummy!

Now notice I said HEALTHY breakfast. Waking up and eating things like pizza (which sounds amazing) is not a good start to the day. It’s not a well-balanced healthy breakfast. While focusing on being healthy shouldn’t consume every minute of the day, we should also remember that this is the start of our day…so why not start it off well!
I have a few different types of breakfast now. A different mix of things for when you need to be quick and have some time. 

  1. Porridge. I have this a lot, I buy normal porridge oats (I buy scots but you can get any) and make it with lactose-free milk. Then once it’s done I add a mixture of things whatever I feel like that day. Banana, nuts, berries are my usual. Sometimes if you’re feeling naughty you can add a little honey (as that has some health benefits too) but I only do it if I know I’m going to be eating well throughout the day.
  2. Toast. This is easy, brown bread is better for you but it’s not essential. It's then what you add to the toast that makes the difference. Some people like avocado, salmon, egg but let’s be honest that sounds expensive and a little fancy. I usually add peanut butter which has benefits too or just butter. Sounds plain but it’s a quick, healthy breakfast.
  3. Breakfast Bar. Now I don’t really think this has enough to fill you up so I usually use them as snacks but some breakfast bars are brilliant for breakfast. They are quick to grab and contain all the good things or things you like.
  4. Cereal. Now, this depends on which you choose. Things like coco pops are not going to be as healthy for you as say just granola but it does depend on taste. Most aren’t too bad for you and usually still contain all the goodness you need. Children tend to enjoy sweeter cereals while adults can usually add things like berries to make it sweeter themselves.
  5. Fruit. Finally, for me, this is the healthiest option. They can be for something quick to grab or sometimes need time to be prepared. Things like apples, plums, oranges, bananas are easy to grab. Fruit like kiwis and pomegranates need more time to be prepared but are also super yummy. You could prepare a fruit salad the night before to eat on the go! So many options!
Obviously, I need to use my own advice and start eating breakfast more. I do really enjoy breakfast, and one of my favourite things to do is go for brunch. Guilty, I usually end up getting a fry up of some sort which is not healthy but in some instances, I will get healthy options. Generally, it really depends on how I’m feeling on the day. 


Stats since Last Weightloss Wednesday

  • My exercise is gradually going up still. This week I’m in Cornwall and will be attempting a 11-mile bike ride. I know that’s crazy especially with chronic pain but it’s something I need to do for myself. To show I can still do it. Plus, all the extra walking and swimming, I’ll be doing. If I eat healthily I reckon I could lose a few pounds this week! The picture is of where I'll be cycling along!
  • I’m drinking a lot less diet coke, but the real big turnaround is making peach iced tea with my new coffee machine. I am absolutely in love with it, so my water consumption has shot right up!
  • Weight – I was back to what I was pre any diet, so October 2016. However, I have lost about2 or 3lbs so that’s encouraging!
  • Eaten – I’m eating less but I’m still not eating the right stuff. That’s something I must work on more.
  • Happy with how I've done this week? – Sort of. I have had some days where I have eaten well, or even just less. Still need to focus on what I'm eating though, as well as how much.

Catch up next week! 

You can find my last weight loss Wednesday post here.


For more places to find me go to my TwitterPinterest, or Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment