Wednesday, 17 May 2017

I'm Excited To Be Back. Why The Break From Blogging & Social Media?

I'm Back, Brighton Beach

So some of you may have realised I've been gone for a while. It has been nearly 4 weeks since I posted anything on my blog, Instagram and even Pinterest. While my twitter was still active I tried to limit my usage of that platform as well. It was very sudden, short but so needed. I have definitely missed it all, crazily as soon as I took a break I wanted to get back into it! 


A few weeks ago, blogging suddenly became so hard. It used to be something I did for fun, something with no pressure something I just did because I wanted to help people and suddenly it just stopped. I don't know whether it was just me, but there was a sudden boom of pressure from other bloggers and more established bloggers to do better, be better and become more important. So much pressure to get big numbers of followers, earn money and get paid sponsorships etc. It was all about numbers. I hated it. I wanted my blog to be about quality and entertainment as well as a platform to help others, not something that should be a competition. 

In amongst all of that life got a bit all over the place. I have my final essay to hand in, which in actual fact is really stressing me out. Education is hard, essays are hard. This one, in particular, is screwing with me. I'm struggling to stop the stress from getting to me. I have been sorting out paperwork for applying to move in with James to a new area for me. That alone is quite a big task and very daunting prospect for me. 
My mental health has been up and down, round and round. The biggest strain on my mental health so far is infertility. We are reaching 1 year now, and nothing has happened and it is so very hard. I never realised just how hard it actually would be. Part of me feels such a failure, but that's a topic for another blog post.


Evening Walk With James
Evening Walks With
James
So I took the decision to stop. Everything got a bit overwhelming and busy and I just wanted to focus on the most important things to me; my health and my degree. It was hard. I love blogging, I love writing and I love the feeling of even slightly helped people. I felt like such a failure that I couldn't keep on going while going through all this, however, that feeling soon subsided and now I just feel like it has been beneficial to me in so many different ways. I spent time with family, spent time with James, I spent time with my best friend. I did everything I felt I needed to do to improve my mental health.

Now I'm back. Hopefully back for good. I won't say I will never take another break, in fact, I think it's healthy to take breaks. However next time, I'll be more prepared and get guest posts and posts lined up so that I can still post some content. I have a few ideas for posts, I have some reviews to write, some things I need to get off my chest and I want to start enjoying it all over again. 

One thing that has not changed at all is my passion for wanting to advocate disability and mental health. That has stayed a strong subject for me and will always be the main topic of this blog. However, I have recently branched out and found more I wish to talk about and raise awareness of. Marine conservation, social problems and infertility are just a few. I always want to slowly make a list of documentaries, books, films etc that people should see that have links to certain topics as well. It would be an ongoing thing, constantly updating and always changing. 

I'm Back and ready to go!

For more places to find me go to my TwitterPinterest, or Instagram

14 comments:

  1. Have you read The Uphill blog - the woman that writes it really struggled with fertility and she has a lot of great info. Here's a link: http://www.theuphill.com/fertility-some-thoughts-and-interesting-articles/. I hope it helps! A teeny pet hate of mine is the current trend for bloggers to insist that you have to be suuuuper niche. Variety is the spice of life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I haven't heard of her, but I'm interested in anything to do with fertility, anything that can help and I can relate too. Thank you! I hate the whole 'everyone should be the same' thing at the moment, i like to read blog posts about lots of different topics and lots of different opinions! x

      Delete
  2. I totally agree. There are months where I only post one post and I think I have skipped a month or so in the past. Blogging is a creative outlet for me, so I don't make it a chore to have a post up once a week, though I do try to. It's always good to take a break when you aren't enjoying something and come back to it later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did get to the point where it felt like a chore, I hated it. Thats not why i started the blog. It was to enjoy it and have an outlet. Definitely better to be back, I've found a new passion!

      Delete
  3. Good for you! I can definitely relate. In the last few weeks, I've been treating my blog more like a business and it hasn't been the best for my mindset. I write about chronic illness (celiac and fibromyalgia), and advocating for others is the motivation that I'm always trying to keep first in my mind. <3 Keep up the amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have a read of your blog, chronic illness is my main niche so I'm always looking for more blogs to read. I started a blog specifically to have a platform to advocate :D xx

      Delete
  4. I am getting ready to take a two week break from all social media and electronics. Going to be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO good. Feels so refreshing :)

      Delete
  5. It definitely gets overwhelming at times! I am so sorry about your struggle with infertility. I wish you all the baby dust!! Glad to see you're back at the blog though, it's a nice outlet if anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanky ou, its a great way to speak more openly about things, and also get advice from others. Hoping i can have my bubba soon x

      Delete
  6. I believe that we all need periodic breaks from our work. Little ones during the day and bigger ones over a year or more. Tim Ferris of The 4 Hour Work Week is an advocate of taking time off regularly. Congratulations on realizing what was best for you and staying true to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anything I realised without even thinking about it. One day I accidentally missed a blog post and it felt great to have no pressure to promote and think about views etc! Thank you x

      Delete
  7. welcome back! I think breaks are SO important. They also help inspire creativity! I'm glad you're back and am sending you all the positive love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are important, at the beginning I actually felt guilty for taking time but by the end i felt brilliant! Feels so much better now I'm back :D Thank you x

      Delete